Public Benefits Advocate
This position involves providing assistance to people who are chronically homeless and disabled. The worker will focus on assistance and advocacy in obtaining a range of client benefits and entitlements, including Supplemental Security Income and Oregon Health Plan. Tracking, data entry and reports are part of the job to satisfy the requirements of the position’s funding sources.
- Experience in benefits assistance
- Experience in the application and appeal process of SSI
- Minimum of 2 years’ experience working with people who are unhoused or disabled
- Basic office and computer skills
- Experience in case management
- Patience and a sense of humor
- Completion of White Bird’s New Volunteer Training Program
- Successfully complete 6-month probation period
- Benefits assistance: eligibility screening, application assistance and appeal advocacy
- Case management: assistance with access to health care, transportation, etc.
- Office/data work: file management, data entry and reports as required
- Outreach: community outreach to people who are unhoused
- Meetings: attend weekly department meetings
- Experience with state and federal entitlement agencies
- Knowledge of the local human service network
- Trained in or has experience in SOAR
- Experience in a collective
- Bilingual/Spanish preferred
This position is being hired for up to 40 hours/weekly. $15/hour during training, increases to $18/hour after passing 6-month probation.