HIPAA Privacy Officer
40 hours per week
Pay and Benefits:
$18.00 to start, $22.00/hour after completing a 6-month probation.
This position is responsible for establishing and maintaining systems that are effective and efficient to assure the privacy of patient protected health information, educating the work force in compliance with HIPAA privacy provisions and is accountable for the facility’s privacy program and all associated policies and procedures that serve the best interest of clients, employees and business associates.
- Bachelor’s degree preferred
- Working knowledge of project/change management
- Experience relative to the complexity of the organization.
- Knowledge or willingness to learn health information management (HIM) and clinical information management; information privacy laws; access and release of information; and technologies.
- Ability to organize, facilitates, communicate, and present information effectively.
- Provides information regarding Privacy for all departments and appropriate entities.
- Oversees training and orientation to all employees, volunteers, medical staff, business associates, etc., regarding HIPAA privacy regulations.
- Fosters information privacy awareness with facility employees and related entities.
- Works with program coordinators to ensure coordination and cooperation under the clinic’s HIPAA privacy policies and procedures.
- Represents the organization on privacy issues with external parties (state or local government bodies, business associates, etc.).
Policies and Procedures
- Identifies privacy policies and procedures necessary for the organization.
- Assures all necessary policies and procedures are written in plain, clear language, approved and distributed.
- Oversees training and implementation of all privacy policies and procedures with HIPAA security officer.
- Stays current on federal and state privacy laws. Routinely completes privacy gap analysis of current laws with organization compliance.
- Ensures the facility meets HIPAA privacy standards deadlines.
Assessment and Monitoring
- Assesses the organization’s current Privacy compliance status vs. necessary status (gap analysis). Periodically reassesses status.
- Works with the appropriate individuals to ensure each program has, implements and maintains the appropriate privacy forms, materials and practices.
- Facilitates the implementation and monitoring of business associate agreements. Reports problems to administration and takes action if problems arise.
- Along with Administration and health information management, establishes mechanisms for accessing, providing, and tracking requests for access to patient health information. In addition, will ensure patient rights to inspect, amend and restrict access to their protected health information are granted.
- Establishes and administers a process for receiving complaints concerning the facility’s privacy policies and procedures. Documents, tracks and takes action on these complaints.
- Ensures consistent action be taken for failure to comply with privacy policies for all employees on the workforce and for business associates. Works in cooperation with human resources, administration and legal counsel, as appropriate.
- Reviews all privacy plans to ensure the facility’s privacy practices are in place.
Note: This position has a 6-month probationary period and reports to the Clinic Co-Coordinators.
You can apply online by filing out the form below or you can download the application packet here and mail it in.
Instructions: Please read job description and summary of the history of White Bird Clinic, then complete this application and submit it to the Clinic by the advertised deadline. Please be sure that you have answered all pertinent questions. Feel free to attach copies of your resume or vita and cover letters, if you wish.