- Currently licensed as an EMT or RN.
- Ability to work effectively with a diverse population including impoverished and alienated persons.
- Ability to drive and to repeatedly climb in and out of a commercial van, ability to operate a cell phone, police radio and lap-top computer, ability to occasionally lift at least 50 kilograms.
- Must be able to pass a stringent criminal background check and driving record review, both conducted by the Eugene Police Department.
- Current CPR certification.
- A sense of humor.
- Work CAHOOTS shifts patrolling the streets & parks of Eugene and Springfield as dispatched by 911.
- Assume primary responsibility for making medical assessments of clients and for providing medical care within the EMT-B scope of practice in accordance with CAHOOTS protocols and standing orders.
- Attend required department and clinic meetings and share in other responsibilities as relevant.
- Complete all required trainings, including defensive driver training through the City of Eugene as arranged by White Bird Clinic.
- Be commissioned by the City of Eugene as a Transportation Officer to perform the duties set forth in ORS 430.399, i.e., to decide whether to transport an intoxicated person to a treatment facility. In no case will CAHOOTS transport anyone over their expressed objections.
- Complete White Bird’s New Volunteer Training within four months of hire.
- Other duties as assigned.
- Reports to department coordinators.
Hours: up to 40/wk
White Bird employees are eligible for health benefits at 30 hours/week at the clinic in any combination of paid positions after 3-months of service.